Biennial Report 1999
|Department of Human Pathology|
|Professor||Masashi Fukayama, M.D., D.M.Sc.|
|Lecturer||Tsuyoshi Tange, M.D., D.M.Sc.|
|Ja-Mun Chong, M.D., D.M.Sc.|
|Associate||Takashi Kashima, M.D., D.M.Sc.|
|Hiroshi Uozaki, M.D., D.M.Sc.|
|Naoko Yamauchi, M.D., D.M.Sc.|
The staffs are a professor, 2 lecturers, and 3 associates. Prof. Rikuo Machinami retired on Mar. 31, 1999, and Prof. Masashi Fukayama is now in the position. Dr. Naoko Yamauchi resigned on Mar. 31, 2000, and Dr. Kengo Takeuchi will be an associate. Nine postgraduate students are now studying in the department. We are investigating the human diseases on the basis of the morphology, and also contribute to the clinical activities, autopsy and surgical pathology, of the University Hospital.
Education for undergraduate students consists of lectures on general and systemic pathology, and exercise course of pathology for 1st -2nd grade-students, and of bed-side learning (BSL) course of autopsy and surgical pathology and clinico-pathologic conferences (CPC) for 3rd -4th grade students. The education is undertaken in collaboration with the staffs of the Department of Molecular Pathology and the Department of Pathology of the University Hospital. A free-quarter course is provided for applicants of 2nd grade students.
Education for postgraduate students is basically through practice and research of human pathology.
Practice of autopsy and surgical pathology of the University Hospital is supported by our staffs. CPCs are held every month in the hospital, for the autopsy cases, and various diseases, such as lymphoma, respiratory diseases, upper gastrointestinal tract diseases, liver tumors, bone- and soft tissue tumors, and gynecological tumors.
Human pathology has two aspects: discovery of a new entity of human diseases and museum for various forms of human disorders. Our research projects for the first aspect are to investigate the mechanism of the following diseases:
1. Epstein-Barr virus associated neoplasms, such as gastric carcinomas, pyothorax-associated lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and AIDS lymphomas.
2. Human herpes virus 8 associated neoplasms, such as Kaposi sarcoma and multicentric Castleman's disease.
3. Lung carcinomas with or without pulmonary fibrosis, and pulmonary metastasis of carcinomas, e.g. osteosarcoma.
The project for the second aspect is now beginning for lymphomas and arteritis. Since we have stocks of paraffin blocks of more than 20000 autopsy cases during these 100 years, a new molecular approach will clarify changes of these diseases in the 20th century of Japan.
References (April 1998-March 2000)
- Goto A, Kanda H, Ishikawa Y, Matsumoto S, Kawaguchi N, Machinami R, Kato Y, Kitagawa T: Association of loss of heterozygosity at the p53 locus with chemoresistance in osteosarcomas. Jpn J Cancer Res 89:539-547, 1998.
- Ishida T, Iijima T, Goto T, Kawano H, Machinami R: Concurrent enchondroma and periosteal chondroma of the humerus mimicking chondrosarcocma. Skeletal Raiol 27:337-340, 1998.
- Matsushima H, Sasaki T, Goto T, Hosaka Y, Homma Y, Kitamura T, Kawabe K, Sakamoto A, Murakami T, Machinami R: Immunohistochemical study of p21WAF1 and p53 protein in prostatic cancer and their prognostic significance. Human Pathol 29:778-783, 1998.
- Motoi T, Ishida T, Kuroda M, Horiuchi H, Oka T, Matsumoto K, Nakamura T, Machinami R: Coexpression of hepatocyte growth factor and c-Met proto-oncogene product in synovial sarcoma. Pathol Int 48:769-775, 1998.
- Kaji Y, Obata H, Usui T, Soya K, Machinami R, Tsuru T, Yamashita H: Three-dimensional organization of collagen fibrils during corneal stromal wound healing after excimer laseratectomy. J Cataract Refract Surg 24:1441-1446, 1998
- Kawaguchi J, Takeshita S, Kashima T, Imai T, Machinami , Kudo A: Expression and function of the splice variant of the human cadherin-11 gene in subordination to the intact cadherin-11. J Bone Mineral Res14:764-775, 1999
- Kashima T, Takeshita S, Kawaguchi J, Kuroda M, Takanashi M, Horiuchi H, Imamura T, Ishikawa Y, Ishida T, Mori S, Machinami R, Kudo A: Anomalous protein expression of cadherins in osteosarcoma: Possible relationships to its metastasis and morphogenesis. Am J Pathol 155:1549-1555, 1999
- Eto K, Tsubamoto Y, Terauchi Y, Sugiyama T, Kishimoto T, Takahashi N, Yamauchi N, Kubota N, Murayama S, Aizawa T, Akanuma Y, Aizawa S, Kasai H, yazaki Y, Kadowaki T: Role of NADH shuttle system in glucose-induced activation of mitochondrial metabolism and insulin secretion. Science 283: 981-985, 1999
- Machida U, Kami M, Kanda Y, Takeuchi K, Akahane M, Yamaguchi I, Kakiuchi C, Takeda N, Tanaka Y, Chiba S, Honda H, Hirai H: Aspergillus tracheobronchitis after allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant 24:1145-1149, 1999
- Horie R, Gattei V, Ito K, Imajo-Ohmi S, Tange T, Miyauchi J, Pinto A, Degan M, De Iuliis A, Mazzocco FT, Rossi FM, Higashihra M, Watanabe T: Frequent expression of the variant CD30 in human myeloid and lymphoid neoplasms. Am J Pathol 155:2029-2041, 1999
- Tsuchida R, Ishida T, Uozaki H, Bessho F, Machinami R: Microtubular aggregates within the rough endoplasmic reticulum of embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma cells: a case report. Ultrastruct Pathol 23:193-198, 1999
- Seo S, Kami M, Honda H, Kashima T, Matsumura T, Moriya A, Machida U, Kanda Y, Chiba S, Hirai H: Extramedullary relapse in the so-called sanctuary sites for chemotherapy after donor lymphocyte infusion. Bone Marrow Trasnplant 25:226-227, 2000
- Hiroi H, Momoeda M, Yamauchi N, Abe Y, Yoshikawa H, Tsutsumi O, Taketani Y: An earlier menopause as clinical manifestation of granulosa-cell tumor : a case report. J Obstet Gynaecol Res 26:9-12, 2000
References for Fukayama M and Chong JM in 1999
- Ishida T, Takashima R, Fukayama M, Hamada C, Hippo Y, Fujii T, Moriyama S, Matsuba C, Nakahori Y, Morita H, Yazaki Y, Kodama T, Nishimura S, Aburatani H: New DNA polymorphisms of human MMH/OGG1 gene: prevalence of one polymorphism among lung- adenocarcinoma patients in Japanese. Int J Cancer 80:18-21, 1999
- Sakurai S, Fukasawa T, Chong JM, Fukayama M: Embryonic Form of Smooth Muscle Myosin Heavy Chain (SMemb/MHC-B) in Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor and Interstitial Cells of Cajal. Am J Pathol 154:23-28, 1999
- Kawabuchi B, Moriyama S, Hironaka M, Fujii T, Koike M, Moriyama H, Nishimura Y, Mizuno S, Fukayama M: p16 inactivation in small sized lung adenocarcinoma: its association of poor prognosis. Int J Cancer 84:49-53, 1999
- Hayashi Y, Fukayama M, Funata N, Hishima T, Oba T, Koike M: Polymerase chain reaction-screening of immunoglobulin heavy chain and T-cell receptor ? gene rearrangements. A practical approach tomolecular DNA analysis of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in a surgical pathology laboratory. Pathol Int 49:110-117, 1999
- Kaizaki Y, Sakurai S, Chong JM, Fukayama M: Atrophic gatritis, Epstein-Barr virus infection, and Epstein-Barr virus-associated gastric carcinoma. Gastric Cancer 2:101-108, 1999
- Koshiishi N, Chong JM, Fukasawa T, Ikeno R, Tanaka A, Kanazawa K, Ogura M, Ebuchi M, Takizawa T, Funata N, Fukayama M: Microsatellite instability and loss of heterozygosity in primary and secondary proliferative lesions of the parathyroid gland. Lab Invest 79:1051-1058, 1999
- Sakurai S, Fukasawa T, Chong JM, Tanaka A, Fukayama M: C-kit gene abnormalities in gastrointestinal stromal tumors (tumors of interstitial cell of Cajal). Jpn J Cancer Res 90:1321-1328, 1999
- Hironaka M, Fukayama M: Regional prolifration of HMB-45-positive clear cells of the lung with lymphangiomyomatosis like distribution, replacing the lobes with multiple cysts and a nodule. Am J Surg Pathol. 23:1288-1293, 1999
- Hishima T, Fukayama M, Hayashi Y, Shiozawa Y, Funata N, Sakamaki H, Koike M: Granulocytic sarcoma of the thymus in a nonleukemic patient. Virchows Arch 435:447-451, 1999
- Fujii T, Kawai T, Saito K, Hishima T, Hayashi Y, Imura J, Hionaka M, Hosoya Y, Koike M, Fukayama M: MEN1 gene mutations in sporadic neuroendocrine tumors of foregut derivation. Pathol Int 49:968-973, 1999
- Hironaka M, Fukayama M: Pulmonary fibrosis and lung carcinoma: A comparative study of metaplastic epithelia in honeycombed areas of usual interstitial pneumonia with or without lung carcinoma. Pathol Int 49:1060-1066, 1999